History of the AGO
In 1900, a group of private citizens joined together to form the Art Museum of Toronto. The land on which the current art gallery stands (known as the Grange) was left to the museum by one Goldwin Smith, and building on the gallery began in earnest soon after. In 1918, the gallery was officially opened.
As the 20 th century progressed, additions and expansions took place at different times until 1993 when the AGO covered just under 100,000 square feet. The popularity of the art gallery, as well as its growing collections called for a larger space, however and in 2004, the Transformation AGO plan was unveiled – a $254 million venture that would hugely increase the size of the gallery.
In November 2008, the AGO was reopened to the public amidst great fanfare, hailing in a new era for this spectacular art gallery.